Monday, October 22, 2012

ऋ not pronounced as रि?

I read this at a place: "As for the ऋ, many Hindi speakers do pronounce it correctly, and even if not always correctly, they pronounce it differently from रि."

Is the above statement correct? Can you please explain to me how the Hindi speaker's pronunciation differs from ri or ru or some corruption of the two because I didn't agree with the above statement.


I agree with the statement "As for the ऋ, many Hindi speakers do pronounce it correctly, and even if not always correctly, they pronounce it differently from रि." In fact most Hindi speakers make a difference between the two.

I don't know how to make you hear, but tongue movement is different in the two ri's. In ऋ, it goes much behind while in रि it remains near the front (of the mouth).

No comments:

Post a Comment